[rhn-users] ongoing problems with up2date

Matt Brock mbrock at gameaccount.com
Fri May 18 14:57:10 UTC 2007

Hello.

I have a couple of dozen or so servers running Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 4. These are fairly minimal server builds that I install with a
customised Kickstart setup.

For a long time I have had serious problems using up2date. I use it
in CLI mode because I don't install X11 on the servers. When I run it
to check for and install new updates, it only gets so far during the
process and then just... hangs forever. I have to use a kill -9 on
the process to destroy it, and then run the command again. Sometimes
it will get a bit further and then hang again. It hangs so frequently
that it can take me hours of just sitting there doing this repeatedly
in order to update just one server. Sometimes it gets to bad that it
hangs in the same place every time, and the only way I've found of
clearing that situation is to reboot the server, which is ridiculous.
I have no idea why rebooting helps (although it doesn't generally
help much).

I've tried forcing it to use a regular HTTP connection instead of
using HTTPS, and I then sniffed the HTTP traffic. There was no
indication of anything which could be causing the problem - it just
stops halfway through downloading files. There is nothing remotely
informative in the logs. I've tried removing up2date's temporary
files, which makes no difference. I've tried fiddling around with all
sorts of settings in the config file, e.g. turning off use of
certificates, and altering the buffer and retry settings.

None of this made the slightest difference. Up2date continues to hang
every time, and it's now become a very serious problem and a source
of extreme frustration. I haven't found any examples on the internet
of people managing to solve problems like this. I think up2date is a
dreadful piece of software and I don't have much hope of solving this
problem decently; however, if anyone does have any suggestions or
ideas at all I would be _extremely_ grateful to hear them.

I note that Red Hat have given up on up2date in RHEL5 and have
started using yum instead. This doesn't surprise me because my
experience of yum is that it's a far better piece of software than
up2date. So, I'm wondering if it's possible to use yum on RHEL4 to
talk to RHN instead of using up2date. If anyone has any knowledge of
how to go about this I'd absolutely love to hear it.

Many thanks in advance for any help or suggestions anyone is able to
give.

Kind regards.

Matt.

--