[rhn-users] Installing packages from RHEL FasTrack via RHN

J E jef_umd at umd.umich.edu
Wed Nov 7 21:33:41 UTC 2007

On Nov 6, 2007, at 10:04 PM, Bret McMillan wrote:

> J E wrote:
>> Ok, maybe I'm missing it, but I'm still getting the hang of things
>> in RHN-land.
>> I'm testing out the Push update features, and I'd like to install a
>> few packages from the FasTrack channel  - but it seems I can't
>> quite figure out what I need to do. I've added that channel to the
>> host in question, but the packages I want still don't show up when
>> I got to "Install Packages" and look for them.
>> Can I do it this way? Or do I have to download and install them by
>> hand?  (I'm guessing if I really wanted to, Yum would do it on the
>> host side, too?)
>
> If your system is subscribed to the channel, you should be able to
> schedule installs/updates, as well as using the commandline clients
> (up2date, yum).
>
> Please note that some views via the webui differentiate between
> installing new applications, and updating existing ones; you might
> want to check the "Update" screens as well.

Thanks Bret,

I checked the package yesterday in the web UI, and it did actually
install. I guess I was just thrown off by it not being found when I
did the search in the other section.

Anyhow, all appears good on that front.

This brings up another question, though. I got the email report from
RHN that a package was installed (it was this one), but nowhere in the
message did it tell me what package or what system did the update.
Easy enough to kn ow if I just do one or 2, but when I start doing
many, I can imagine this not helping. Is there something I am missing
to have this information populated? This is what I got:

This is the RHN Status Report for your account xxxxxxxxxx, as of
11/7/07 6:24:07 AM EST.

This email will be sent when any of the following apply to the
specified systems:

1.  The system fails to check in with RHN within a 24-hour window.
2.  The system registers scheduled action activity.

                         Completed
Package Install	1

Errata Synopses:

And thats it.