[rhn-users] Confused on rhn_check

Daryl Herzmann akrherz at iastate.edu
Wed Jan 16 18:28:38 UTC 2008

Hi Paul!

> In this case, I've got, "Auto Errata Update: Yes" turned on for the
> machine I'm testing against.  I then went in to 'Software | Errata' and
> made sure a recent errata ( httpd ) was applied.

What status was it in?  Pending?  None?

> However, rhn_check isn't doing its thing.  I see the traffic making it
> all the way to my satellite.

My guess is that a previous iteration of rhn_check failed.  Can you look
back thru the /var/log/up2date logs and see if you see anything about
httpd errata?  Also, on the RHN website, check out the history for the
system and see if you see any failed or pending actions.

> I saw some mixed reviews on rhn_check in my research, in favor of
> sticking up2date in cron.  Is that a more popular way to do this?

Unfortunately, it is the only way that works reliably.

daryl