[rhn-users] RHEL AS 4.6 installation fails on a 32 bit AMD

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 17:12:01 UTC 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 2:11 PM, Phani Babu Giddi <phanig at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I was trying to install Redhat AS 4.6 on a 32 bit AMD proceessor and the
> instalation fails stating that this hardware configuration is not supported
> by this version of enterprise linux. I got evaluvatoin license for AS 4.6
> and downloaded the DVD based iso for x86. Based on this I thought that it
> should work on AMD too.
>
> Now is there a way I can find out exactly for which "hardware" the
> installation failed. Could it be because of RAM size ? What are the other
> types of checks that the instalation software makes to determine hardware
> compatibility. The system I am installing AS 4.6 is not a high end machine
> and its required for experimentation.

Hi Phani,

This list is intended for issues related to the Red Hat Network (RHN)
and that may be why no one has replied to this question. There are
other lists related to installation and RHEL4 which would probably be
more appropriate places to ask.

Installations can fail for many reasons and usually the reason is
fairly obvious from the messages ... can you switch virtual consoles
during the install and check for messages on those relating to the
failure?

Low amounts of memory can certainly cause anaconda to fail. How much
memory do you have?

John