[rhn-users] Kickstarted server does not use shadow passwords?

Mertens, Bram mertensb at mazdaeur.com
Wed May 7 14:01:49 UTC 2008

Hi

We recently started using RHN with a local satellite server.  After
kickstarting several servers we discovered each time that we could not
change root's password from the one specified in the kickstart profile.

We always get the error: "passwd: User not known to the underlying
authentication module".

We nos discovered that the system is not using shadow passwords and
running pwconv solves the problem.

Is there a way to enable shadow passwords in a kickstart profile?  Or do
we have to run pwconv from the %post section in each profile?

Regards

Bram

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING  310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB