[rhn-users] Kickstarted server does not use shadow passwords?

Mark Watts m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Wed May 7 14:30:33 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 07 May 2008 15:01:49 Mertens, Bram wrote:
> Hi
>
> We recently started using RHN with a local satellite server.  After
> kickstarting several servers we discovered each time that we could not
> change root's password from the one specified in the kickstart profile.
>
> We always get the error: "passwd: User not known to the underlying
> authentication module".
>
> We nos discovered that the system is not using shadow passwords and
> running pwconv solves the problem.
>
> Is there a way to enable shadow passwords in a kickstart profile?  Or do
> we have to run pwconv from the %post section in each profile?

Under The "Advanced Options" tab for the Kickstart profile, I have the "auth"
box checked with the following options:

	--enablemd5 --enableshadow

I assume this is missing in yours, although its set as standard when you
create a kickstart profile (at least on 5.0.1)

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer