[rhn-users] Re: RHN website is slow, and session times out too fast

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 21:28:48 UTC 2009

Hey Daryl,

You caught me :)

akrherz at iastate.edu wrote:
> Hi Máirín,
>
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>
>> I believe the slowness was due in part to the recent release of Red
>> Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3 - I believe that the initial demand for this
>> release exceeded expectations, unfortunately, so we could not
>> anticipate and warn you folks of the problem ahead of time (sorry,
>> Daryl :(
>> ).
>
> My comment was in reference to the lack of rhn-outage-list notification
> during the outage.

It may have not been immediately apparent that the problem
would be long-lived. Looking at the outage page [1], it
looks like we try to notify users about long-term unexpected
outages within "12 hours or as soon as possible." 12 hours
seems reasonable to me with the understanding that it may
take some time for problems to be initially identified and
it may not be clear right away how long term an issue will
be, depending on the nature of the issue (is it a bandwidth
issue? an application bug? a deployment error? a network
problem? etc. Depending on which type it is it may or may
not be quickly resolvable.)

24 hours is definitely a while to get an official notice
though, so I do apologize in the delay in Red Hat's sending
that out and hopefully we'll do better next time (of course,
hopefully, there isn't a next time!). It definitely helps to
hear from our users when you are experiencing degradation in
service though, so thank you to everyone who did call or
email in to let us know.

> Is there a webpage that details what these expected levels are?

If there was it would probably be linked from there, so I
don't think there is. If it is something you'd like to see
you could file a request with customer service for it. In
either case, though, I do think you're aware that your
organization's RHN account is a bit of a special case and I
believe we've talked about that before. RHN may well be
performing at expected levels for the vast majority of accounts.

>> I hope this information helps. If you have any issues getting in touch
>> with customer support and/or experience issues in having your slowness
>> issues investigated, please feel free to contact me directly (duffy at
>> redhat dot com) and I would be happy to try to help.
>
> You continue to go above and beyond here with RHN hosted.  I really wish
> others at Red Hat shared your commitment for RHN hosted.

There are quite a few people at Red Hat with a deep
commitment to RHN hosted and they are awesome individuals;
they are likely too busy to be chatting on mailing lists ;-)

Speaking of which I have some mockups to get back to ^_^

~m

[1] https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/help/outage-policy.jsp