[rhn-users] Changing from normal RHN to Satellite

Paul Wayper paulway at sgs.immi.gov.au
Tue May 26 23:15:57 UTC 2009

Hi all,

We're going to be deploying Red Hat Satellite some time soon, and I'm
just working out what we have to do.  We have a mixed deployment of
mostly RHEL 4.7 servers with some newer RHEL 5.3 servers.  How easy is
it to change these over to using the Satellite server?  We're using
Puppet to push out the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file (to use EPEL as
well), so that shouldn't be too hard, but how do we go about moving the
systems across from rhn.redhat.com to the Satellite server?

I'm trying to convince the management that they need to send me on the
RH401 course, but as they'll have just sent me on the RHS333 course it's
going to be a bit of a push ("global financial crisis" seems to be the
standard response  :-) ).

Thanks in advance,

Paul