[rhn-users] Changing from normal RHN to Satellite

Michael Kearey mkearey at redhat.com
Tue May 26 23:50:56 UTC 2009

----- "Paul Wayper" <paulway at sgs.immi.gov.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We're going to be deploying Red Hat Satellite some time soon, and I'm
>
> just working out what we have to do.  We have a mixed deployment of
> mostly RHEL 4.7 servers with some newer RHEL 5.3 servers.  How easy is
>
> it to change these over to using the Satellite server?  We're using
> Puppet to push out the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file (to use EPEL as
>
> well), so that shouldn't be too hard, but how do we go about moving
> the
> systems across from rhn.redhat.com to the Satellite server?
>
> I'm trying to convince the management that they need to send me on the
>
> RH401 course, but as they'll have just sent me on the RHS333 course
> it's
> going to be a bit of a push ("global financial crisis" seems to be the
>
> standard response  :-) ).
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

RH401 would be a good idea.. In the meantime check out the documentation :

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/satellite/

Specifically the bootstrap section:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/satellite/Red_Hat_Network_Satellite-5.2.0/html/Client_Configuration_Guide/ch-bootstrap.html

The bootstrap facility automates the config changes required for the client to use the Satellite.

Cheers