[rhn-users] list *all* available package updates using XMLRPC API

Steve Huff shuff at hmdc.harvard.edu
Fri Sep 4 18:16:29 UTC 2009

Hello folks!

I'm trying to query the RHN XMLRPC API in order to generate a list of
all the available updated packages for our various RHN-subscribed hosts;
unfortunately, what I get from the API and what I get from `yum
check-update` differ dramatically.

For example, running `yum check-update` on a host that's currently
running RHEL5.3, I see 176 updated packages available (that's the
RHEL5.4 update).  However, when I issue the
'system.listLatestUpgradablePackages' API call, I only see updates
available for packages associated with specific errata in RHN, which is
a much smaller subset.

Is there a different API call that I should be using that will give me
an equivalent list?

thanks,
-Steve

Steve Huff - Systems Administrator, HMDC - shuff at hmdc.harvard.edu