[rhos-list] Folsom Preview RPM question

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Mon Dec 3 22:59:34 UTC 2012

On 12/03/2012 05:53 PM, John Larson wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Apologies in advance if I am missing something obvious.
>
> I am subscribed to the Folsom Preview channel and I am using the Folsom
> Preview Getting Started Guide. Everything is working as expected, but
> when I get to the Quantum (Networking) Section (Chapter 7), I am
> instructed to yum install openstack-quantum-openvswitch. That RPM is not
> in the Folsom preview channel. It appears to be an important RPM.
>
> I have triple-checked that the RPM does not exist in the channel, but I
> would like someone else to verify that in case I have overlooked
> something.

The docs are apparently a little eager for openvswitch support :)

When the Folsom Preview was released, we couldn't release the
openstack-quantum-openvswitch package yet, because the underlying OS
(RHEL 6.3) didn't contain kernel support for OVS.

Our plan is to release that package, and also the openvswitch userspace
package once RHEL 6.4 has released its public beta (which should be very
soon now)

So for the time being, it is not possible to use the RHOS Folsom Preview
with OVS.  But it should be possible to use it with other quantum
plugins if you have the requisite hardware.

So just hold off for a few days, the packages should be there soon :)

Perry