[rhos-list] RHOS running on VmWare - supported Use Case?

Keith Basil kbasil at redhat.com
Wed Mar 6 20:24:10 UTC 2013

> Sorry, I am, obviously, not one of the *intended* recipients of such a
> question.
>
> Having seen it, though, I must confess I was puzzled, at first...
>
> My familiarity with VMware's contribution to OpenStack is minimal.
> Especially when it comes down to the Core OpenStack Components. We do
> know, however, that ESX is a supported hypervisor.
>
> This does mean we can have have Compute Nodes running ESX while all the
> control infrastructure and other Core Components would be RHOS. We can,
> of course, go as far as to admit all the non-physical nodes to be
> running as VMware VMs.
>
> Can anyone tell me what the business case could be, for such a setup ?
> Besides the very valid one "that's what the client wants" !

Not sure if there is a business case to be made here.  If this is
requested, I would like to understand the rationale behind it?  Does
the customer think that because the hypervisor is VMware based that
they will get HA and vMotion-like benefits with OpenStack?  Are they
erroneously mixing and matching cloud types (enterprise virtualization
vs. an elastic cloud)?

> Never mind, I just figured it out... What if you had a bunch of VMware
> infrastructure and wanted to try things out before jumping in ? Besides,
> this could smooth-out the transition to a mixed environment. Chances are
> the client will be more at-ease with a smooth transition.

As a proof of concept, maybe.  As production infrastructure, probably not
for many reasons.

My guess is that it's a philosophical misunderstanding of the nature of
the two cloud types: one designed for virtualization, static/legacy
workloads, etc (VMware) and one designed for new elastic applications
where the apps *expect* the infrastructure to fail (OpenStack).

	-k
--
keith basil | principal product manager, OpenStack
kbasil at redhat.com | redhat.com/openstack