[rhos-list] Quantum or Nova in RHOS

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Wed Mar 27 13:47:17 UTC 2013

Adding the Quantum developers to provide more detail here

On 03/22/2013 07:33 PM, Paul Robert Marino wrote:
> There are a few features in nova network that haven't been split off yet
> that are slated the be released in a different component in the next
> release of OpenStack (grizzly) such as the custom DNS functions.
> As far as Open vSwitch originally there was something missing (interface
> naming) from RHEL's version of the kernel which has been added to the
> latest 6.x release and it should work now if you are running the latest
> version of RHEL 6.
>

> -- Sent from my HP Pre3

> On Mar 22, 2013 9:49 AM, Ted Brunell <tbrunell at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I just have a couple of quick questions about the network stack that
> will be included in RHOS when it comes out of preview.
>
> When the RHOS is released, will it include Quantum + Open vSwitch or
> will nova-network be the preferred network stack? The current preview
> docs seem to indicate that Quantum is the route that Red Hat is going.

RHOS 2.1 will contain both Quantum and Nova Network, just as upstream
Folsom and Grizzly contain both of these.

We won't remove Nova Network from RHOS releases until upstream has
completely converted to Quantum and they have deprecated Nova Network
usage, so it may be a few more releases until we get to that point.

Nova Networking is definitely the more mature of the two components, and
in the absence of a specific need for a feature that Quantum provides, I
think at this point we would steer users to Nova Networking.

> If nova is used, will there be an upgrade path to Quantum or will it
> require a large amount of re-engineering of deployed RHOS systems to get
> it working?

There is a manual process for converting from Nova Networking to
Quantum, but it is definitely a bit labor intensive and would likely
require taking down the cloud to be offline for the conversion.

We have some of this on the Fedora wiki:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OpenStack
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Quantum
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Quantum_Converting_Plugins
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packstack_to_Quantum

The Packstack to Quantum stuff is covered in part by the official docs
as well (on docs.redhat.com)

> Are there any limitations with Quantum right now that make it not on par
> with nova-network?

Yes.  I'll let the Quantum developers provide a checklist here

Cheers,

Perry