[scl.org] Custom software collection building process

Dmitrijs Milajevs dimazest at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 10:19:53 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have the following problem. At a computing server at my university centos
6.5 is installed. The software I wish to run there requires recent versions
of python3, numpy, scipy. Manually compiling python and pip-installing is
too difficult.

I would like to:

1. create a custom software collection that depends on python33 provided by
centos. http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/SCL
2. however, they don't provide numpy and scipy. So I would like to add
these packages to my collection.
3. add other packages, e.g. seaborn
http://web.stanford.edu/~mwaskom/software/seaborn/

Ideally, the collection should be available on softwarecollections.org, so
I could give admins a couple of commands to install it.

Could you explain the basic workflow. As I understand, I whould have a
collecton .spec file and then .spec files for packages. To build them,
should the spec files be located in ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES? Why then
https://git.centos.org/summary/?r=rpms/python33-numpy.git is a dedicated
repository? How can I rebuild that package?

As you see, I'm very new to building and creating RPMs.

Thanks in advance,
Dima