[scl.org] Idea: Software Collections Daemons Made System-wide

Remi Collet Fedora at FamilleCollet.com
Wed Mar 22 07:44:42 UTC 2017

Le 21/03/2017 à 18:04, Vacelet, Manuel a écrit :

> Do you foresee a way to deal with package dependencies ?
> I might be wrong but when I'm installing packages that requires
> php(language>=5.3) it doesn't see rh-php56 or rh-php70 scls

The virtual provides used in PHP stack are not in the SCL packages by
design (to really not alter base system)

Adding this virtual provide in a system-wide additional and optional
sub-package doesn't seems a real good idea.

1/ there is tons of extensions, so each one will need a system-wide
subpackage...

And we cannot (in RHEL) write rich dependencies...

2/ this will add multiple providers for php(language),
thus making yum crazy when trying to resolve it
(as it was in EL-5 with dual php/php53 stack)

> It's a bit cumbersome because I end-up having the default package
installed
> whereas I'm only using the ones that come from SCLs

I think we have to stay in this situation until more modern dependencies
will be allowed and used in packaged app (rpm 4.13)

Requires: (php(language) >= 5.3 or rh-php56-php(language) or
rh-php70-php(language))
Requires (php-mysqli if php-common)
Requires (rh-php56-php-mysqli if rh-php56-php-common)
Requires (rh-php70-php-mysqli if rh-php70-php-common)

Notice: be aware that packaged app (in EPEL) cannot be warrantied to
work with a different PHP versions than the base one.

Ex (from upstream information)
* phpMyAdmin 4.0 (EL-6) only supports PHP 5.x
* phpMyAdmin 4.4 (EL-7) supports PHP 5.3 to 7.0
* phpMyAdmin 4.6 (Fedora) supports PHP 5.5 to 7.1

The real and proper solution will be to have a rh-php56-phpMyAdmin
package, design to work with the rh-php56 collection.

Remi.