[scl.org] How different is rh-postgresql94 from community Postgres 94?

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Mon Mar 6 11:31:11 UTC 2017

The biggest differences will be visible for admin, because
rh-postgresql95 uses concept of Software Collections
(https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/docs/) which means binaries are
put into alternate directory (/opt) and user needs to run `scl` command
to adjust $PATH first:

   $ psql
   bash: psql: command not found...
   $ scl enable rh-postgresql95 bash
   $ psql
   psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Also name of the service is different, rh-postgresql95 uses this name:

   systemctl status rh-postgresql95-postgresql

And location of the data is different as well, by default data files are
located at:

   /var/opt/rh/rh-postgresql95/lib/pgsql

As for the feature set and usage from remote server, I don't think there
are any differences, so applications won't see any difference IMO.

Regards,
Honza