Re: [scl.org] Idea: Software Collections Daemons Made System-wide

I don't expect we'll do this for existing packages we provide, it's more a vision for new collections (e.g. mariadb 10.2 at some point).

Anyway, do you also see the same point for those upcoming collections (where we're not tight by keeping backward compatibility), e.g. because you're fine with all the SCL specifics and adapting to the new way would be troublesome?

Honza

On 03/22/2017 04:30 AM, Griffin, Wesley (Fed) wrote:
I will chime in as the "old curmudgeon" - as long as you don't break the existing use case, then I'm fine with any changes. The blog post says subpackages will be used to ensure no breakage - I just want to re-iterate that this is important and should not get lost if the proposal changes.

Thanks,
Wes

From: sclorg-bounces redhat com <sclorg-bounces redhat com> on behalf of Honza Horak <hhorak redhat com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:05:26 AM
To: sclorg redhat com
Subject: [scl.org] Idea: Software Collections Daemons Made System-wide

This is basically a kick-off for getting more feedback for an idea
shared at
http://www.themindiseverything.eu/2017/03/software-collections-daemons-made.html.

Shortly, SCL has worked nicely for several years and people love them.
But even the beloved ones have some issues. And what we hear from users,
the issues with Software Collections concept currently are basically those:

* we need to use scl enable, which changes $PATH and other environment
variables, so the binaries placed in different location are visible by
the system
* scripts originally written for "normal" MySQL use full paths (like
/usr/bin/mysql) which does not work when we only have the Software
Collection installed
* Data directory, config files and log files are on different location
than it is common

The blog post tries to summarize possible solution, which I'm looking
for feedback now, ideally by replying to this mail..

TIA,