[sos-devel] Gerrit and Jenkins

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Tue Jun 14 09:05:54 UTC 2011

On 06/13/2011 10:56 PM, Keith Robertson wrote:
> I just wanted to know what the SoS devel community thinks about moving
> the upstream to a Gerrit for code review and Jenkins for continuous
> integration.  I'm working on some other projects that are using it (i.e.
> RHEV) and I am extremely impressed with it.

For those who have never come across these tools before there's a blog post here
that explains some of the motivation and mechanics behind Gerrit and Jenkins:

http://alblue.bandlem.com/2011/02/someday.html

Project pages:
http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/
http://jenkins-ci.org/

> If the community is agreeable, does anyone know what is the probability
> that of getting fedorahosted to "host" the Gerrit web app?  If they

Not sure - the Fedora devel list would probably be the first place to bring this
up (if it's not been raised already).

> don't do it we could still host Gerrit on an internal server here within
> RH and link it to the sos-devel list.

Although I think I can see the power of a tool like Gerrit particularly when the
size of the development team grows I think we need to understand what this buys
us in the immediate term - right now we're trying to get a development community
started around the sos project and I would like to keep the complexity and
barriers to involvement low.

Given the current size of the group working on the tool I wonder what we gain
beyond just using the mailing list.

CI is definitely a "Good Thing" but I wonder if it's the immediate priority -
given the laxity of python build-time checks how much do we actually gain
without first getting a more developed test suite together?

Cheers,
Bryn.