[sos-devel] sosreport grab /opt directory

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Fri Dec 4 13:52:47 UTC 2015

On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 04:33:47PM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> I am using sosreport on RHEL 6.6, is there a way to include /opt directory
> using sosreport where my application is running. I read the man sosreport
> and did not see any option to do it. Any help will be really appreciable.

Not really: /opt is a potentially very large (10s or 100s of GiB in some
instances) directory tree and is one of the top-level FHS standard paths.

We do not collect anything in sos as indiscriminately as this - both for
privacy reasons (we do not know if we are collecting keys, passwords, or
other secrets) and for the space consumed in doing so.

If specific applications make use of known paths in /opt then we will
consider making additions to plugins that support those applications.

You could package up any additions you require from /opt using the
tar tool - either as a separate archive or updating an existing sos
tarball.

Regards,
Bryn.