[sos-devel] sosreport grab /opt directory

Kaushal Shriyan kaushalshriyan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 16:16:58 UTC 2015

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 7:22 PM, Bryn M. Reeves <bmr at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 04:33:47PM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> > I am using sosreport on RHEL 6.6, is there a way to include /opt
> directory
> > using sosreport where my application is running. I read the man sosreport
> > and did not see any option to do it. Any help will be really appreciable.
>
> Not really: /opt is a potentially very large (10s or 100s of GiB in some
> instances) directory tree and is one of the top-level FHS standard paths.
>
> We do not collect anything in sos as indiscriminately as this - both for
> privacy reasons (we do not know if we are collecting keys, passwords, or
> other secrets) and for the space consumed in doing so.
>
> If specific applications make use of known paths in /opt then we will
> consider making additions to plugins that support those applications.
>
> You could package up any additions you require from /opt using the
> tar tool - either as a separate archive or updating an existing sos
> tarball.
>
> Regards,
> Bryn.

Thanks Bryn for the explanation and much appreciated. I will appreciate if
there is a way to handle this specific use case using plugins or some
elegant and efficient mechanism that way it would be a awesome tool for us
to push it more than 1000 servers in our Infrastructure.

Please advise.

Regards,

Kaushal