[sos-devel] Changing sosreport tarball names

Jake Hunsaker jhunsake at redhat.com
Wed Jan 10 19:56:21 UTC 2018

Hi list,

There is currently a proposal upstream for sos to change the naming
pattern for sos tarballs (or more precisely, allowing distribution
policies to change it):

https://github.com/sosreport/sos/pull/1175

Specifically, for the RH family (currently there would be no change to
any other distros) this would change the tarball names from something like:

sosreport-tux.123456-20180110142241.tar.xz

sosreport-tux-123456-2018-01-10-abcdefg.tar.xz

which I believe is easier on the eyes, and better for being able to
quickly reference sosreports especially when there are multiple
sosreports attached to a particular case. The 'abcdefg' at the end will
be a random 7-alpha character string. For example, instead of parsing
through the full date string, one can just say "look at sosreport qwertyu".

So I'm asking for feedback on making this change (or not). Particularly
interested if this has the potential to cause trouble with any
tooling/automation/etc anyone has in place for working with sosreports.

Thanks!

- jake

--
Jake Hunsaker
Sr. Container and Virtualization Support Engineer