[Spacewalk-list] Re: [Spacewalk-devel] Need for 3 "views" of channels?

Doug Knight karmix0 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 22:44:02 UTC 2008

Jesus M. Rodriguez wrote:

>>> OK, my previous comment was crap. Now I tried it and you are correct. But
>>> I still do not agree that "Relevant" should display all available on sat.
>>> How I would like it:
>>> "Relevant" - channels to which my login have registered at least one
>>> machine.
>>> "All" - channels to which my organization have entitlements.
>>> "Retired" - Dunno, how many users have something there...
>> I think the above is actually how people expect it to work.  The question
>> is, on a fresh Satellite with no systems registered, we may want "Relevant"
>> to actually show something, which is why I think i386 always shows up.
>>
>> Perhaps it should be:
>>
>> "Relevant" - channels to which my login have registered at least one
>> machine.  If no machines, show same as All.
>
> +1 with modification :) add a message at the top stating "No systems
> found, showing All available channels"
> then show the entire list.

I wouldn't suggest displaying all channels under the "Relevant" view when
the relevant view would be empty; it's hard enough to find some things in
Spacewalk without this craziness.  Someone new to spacewalk is more
likely to encounter an empty relevant channel list than a seasoned veteran,
and they aren't going to see the "displaying all instead" message after
they have added a system and all of their channels disappear.  Better to
simply tell them from the beginning that there are no channels relevant
to their account yet.

The "All" view, in its current form, does not include retired channels.
This is counterintuitive given its name.  I believe "All" should mean all;
either include retired channels in the "All" view or name it something
else.

"Retired" is more of a satellite feature to keep end of life channels from
cluttering up the display.  There needs to be a way for a channel manager
mark a channel that is no longer being actively maintained as retired for
it to have much use in Spacewalk. (Let me know if I'm blind.)

"Relevant" - All channels the account can manage and all channels to which
at least one system in a group that the account can manage is subscribed
but not retired channels.  If no channels match this criteria, display
a message that verbally redirects the user to the "All" view.

"All" - All channels the account can manage and all channels to which the
account can subscribe systems (i.e. All globally subscribable channels, and
all non-globally subscribable channels for which the account is in the
subscribers list) [but not retired channels?  see below].

"Retired" - All retired channels the account can manage (should you even be
able to manage a retired channel without un-retiring it?) and all retired
systems to which the account can subscribe systems.