[Spacewalk-list] Auto Errata Update

Clifford Perry cperry at redhat.com
Tue Aug 5 01:01:26 UTC 2008

John Hodrien wrote:
> If I have a machine that needs updates, and I select Auto Errata Update
> in the
> GUI, and next time it checks in it applies the updates.  If I leave it on
> that, and a new errata applies to the machine, nothing happens, and it
> is not
> automatically updated.
>
> Where do I start to debug this?  Taskomatic is running, and I'm getting
> daily
> emails of activity, so I know it hooking up with the DB.
>
> jh

Is this a Spacewalk server? and you are publishing custom Errata to
channels and thus systems registered to those channels?

Spacewalk has a background daemon called taskomatic, it is this daemons
job to notice new errata and thus schedule the event for systems which
have 'Auto Errata Update' selected to schedule an event for the system
the next time it checks in to apply the Errata.

This is from memory on what should happen...
A new system when you select the 'Auto Errata Update' will do a one time
en-mass events to apply all outstanding Errata. You can see this under
the Event History for the system. Your system the next time it checks in
picks up these events and installs all the packages associated with the
Errata.

As time goes on new Errata is published into the channel (or sync'd via
Satellite-sync) and one time Errata is scheduled as they come in.

So... sounds like 2nd part is not working.

Check /var/log/rhn/taskomatic* for the ErrataCache task and that it is
running. If it not running, look at /etc/rhn/rhn.conf and
/etc/rhn/default* for taskomatic config entries to confirm Errata Cache
is listed as a task to run.

If it is running and not workng... humm.. :)

Code is spacewalk/java/code/src/com/redhat/rhn/task/ErrataCacheTask.java
and spacewalk/java/code/src/com/redhat/rhn/task/errata/

Guess see how far you get before going any further...

Cliff.

--
Clifford Perry
Team Lead, Satellite Engineering