[Spacewalk-list] Auto Errata Update

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Aug 20 08:55:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Clifford Perry wrote:

Sorry for the delay, off I was off on holiday.

> Is this a Spacewalk server? and you are publishing custom Errata to channels
> and thus systems registered to those channels?

Yes.

> Spacewalk has a background daemon called taskomatic, it is this daemons job
> to notice new errata and thus schedule the event for systems which have 'Auto
> Errata Update' selected to schedule an event for the system the next time it
> checks in to apply the Errata.

That's what I'd gathered so far from other people.

> This is from memory on what should happen...
> A new system when you select the 'Auto Errata Update' will do a one time
> en-mass events to apply all outstanding Errata. You can see this under the
> Event History for the system. Your system the next time it checks in picks up
> these events and installs all the packages associated with the Errata.

Yes.  This is the step that works.

> As time goes on new Errata is published into the channel (or sync'd via
> Satellite-sync) and one time Errata is scheduled as they come in.
>
> So... sounds like 2nd part is not working.
>
> Check /var/log/rhn/taskomatic* for the ErrataCache task and that it is
> running. If it not running, look at /etc/rhn/rhn.conf and /etc/rhn/default*
> for taskomatic config entries to confirm Errata Cache is listed as a task to
> run.

Task list is as set by default:

taskomatic.default_tasks = com.redhat.rhn.task.DailySummary,\
com.redhat.rhn.task.ErrataQueue,com.redhat.rhn.task.ErrataMailer,\
com.redhat.rhn.task.KickstartCleanup,com.redhat.rhn.task.PackageCleanup,\
com.redhat.rhn.task.SandboxCleanup,com.redhat.rhn.task.SessionCleanup,\
com.redhat.rhn.task.SummaryPopulation,\
com.redhat.rhn.task.ErrataCacheTask

> If it is running and not workng... humm.. :)

INFO   | jvm 1    | 2008/08/20 09:50:00 | 2008-08-20 09:50:00,026 [DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-3] INFO
com.redhat.rhn.taskomatic.SchedulerKernel - Taskomatic Group:com.redhat.rhn.task.ErrataCacheTask-8 completed

> Code is spacewalk/java/code/src/com/redhat/rhn/task/ErrataCacheTask.java
> and spacewalk/java/code/src/com/redhat/rhn/task/errata/
>
> Guess see how far you get before going any further...

A machine that's set to Auto Errata Update for the last few weeks has just sat
there and done nothing.

Thanks for your help with this,

jh

--
"The only difference between the bitchy whining children in open source
  development and the bitchy whining children in closed source development is