[Spacewalk-list] Error Registering Client

Wojtak, Greg GregWojtak at quickenloans.com
Thu Dec 11 19:35:11 UTC 2008

I followed the wiki docs to set up Oracle XE and Spacewalk 0.3 on a
CentOS 5.2 system.   I created a channel using the create_channel.py
script and have created an activation key associated with that channel.
On the client, I install the spacewalk necessary rpm's per the client
install instructions in the wiki.  Then, I run the following:

# rhnreg_ks --serverUrl=http://myspacewalk.server.com
--activationkey=<activationkey> --username=<adminuser>
--password=<adminpassword> --verbose --force

In /etc/rhn/satellite-httpd/logs/error_log, I am getting the following:

Exception Handler Information
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/rhn/server/apacheServer.py", line 58, in __call__
    ret = f(req)
  File "/usr/share/rhn/server/apacheHandler.py", line 72, in
headerParserHandler
    rhnSQL.initDB()
  File "/usr/share/rhn/server/rhnSQL/__init__.py", line 78, in initDB
    str(e_type), str(e_value))
rhnException: ('Could not initialize Oracle database connection',
'exceptions.RuntimeError', 'Unable to acquire Oracle environment
handle')

RHN 14734 2008/12/11 14:26:56 -04:00: ("DATABASE CONNECTION TO 'xe'
LOST", "Exception information: 'NoneType' object has no attribute
'cursor'")

Has anyone else seen this?  I can't even get a client to register, and
it looks like the next step pushing content, may be a wash, too, as I
can't seem to manage the channels in the web interface.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Greg