[Spacewalk-list] Wrong ELF Class error when runningspacewalk-setup --disconnected

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jul 10 14:04:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Plummer, Christina E. wrote:

> <snip>
>  Unfortunately, the same error occurs. Is there a way to back out
>  spacewalk and all the deps cleanly?
> </snip>
>
> Yup... I went through this dance as well.  Removed all the i386 packages
> (if you use yum remove on a few of the ones you know are i386 like
> perl-DBD-Oracle or cx_Oracle it will get most of the other ones due to
> dependencies), and kept rebuilding and installing the x86_64 versions
> from source until yum stopped trying to resolve any of the dependencies
> from the spacewalk repo (which was only i386 at the time).
>
> Getting x86_64 versions of perl-DBD-Oracle and cx_Oracle (python) to
> install was challenging because it appears that at least the 64-bit
> version of the oracle-instantclient-devel package didn't seem to
> properly inform RPM what libraries it provides(?).  So even when I
> rebuilt DBD-Oracle and cx_Oracle from the source RPM myself using the
> correct libraries (and on the same machine), yum wouldn't install the
> binary RPM because it had failed dependencies on the Oracle libraries,
> e.g.:
>
> Error: Missing Dependency: libclntsh.so.10.1()(64bit) is needed by
> package cx_Oracle
>
> After banging my head for a long time, I finally gave up and installed
> my rebuilt RPMs using rpm --nodeps.  Hopefully the ones from the
> repository don't have these problems, but I wanted to mention it just in
> case you run into the same issue.

Blimey, it sounds like I got it easy.  I tried a bit of a dance before the
x86_64 repo was done I admit.

After that, I just installed everything as per the docs and had no problems
with dependencies.  I made sure I installed the specified older versions of
the client RPMS from oracle.

rhel-instnum and rhn-search were the only packages that I added afterwards to
keep it ticking over.

jh

--
"Some women respond to the whip, some to the kiss.  Most of them like a
  mixture of both, but none of them answer to the mind alone, to the