[Spacewalk-list] scheduled updates not being picked up

Michiel van Es michiele at info.nl
Thu Jul 17 12:23:25 UTC 2008

John Hodrien wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Michiel van Es wrote:
>
>> So although I scheduled it to check it one minuter after now, it still takes
>> 4 hours to being picked up by the pull from the clients?
>
> That's not what you scheduled.  You scheduled it to happen no sooner than that
> time.

I dont understand what you mean..if I choose as soon as possible with an
upgrade it always says it will be not sooner then something in the past ..

>> And if I schedule a monthly upgrade and reboot on a group.
>> Can I Schedule it on every every wednesday at 04:00 am and will it be picked
>> up at 04:00 am or 4 hours later then that time?
>
> I've no idea whether it'll do that, or merely within 4 hours of then.  You can
> always change how often it checks in (I'm assuming that's what
> /etc/sysconfig/rhn/rhnsd does).

I hope it'll do that ... that is why we use RHN for automated yum
updates/up2date -fu's ..
Esp. if you got a maintenance windows between 4-8 it is wanted that
those systems are being upgraded at 04:01 am and you can check the
status in spacewalk or by email if everything went ok.

>> The reason why I asked this question is we have a maintenance window every
>> 3rd wednesday of the month and then we want to upgrade all CentOS clients and
>> give them a reboot and check afterwards if everything went ok.
>> That is why Spacewalk is our sollution that comes in mind :)
>>
>> Is spacewalk able to that just fine?
>
> Either the push side of spacewalk works (I don't know) or you just ssh to the
> machines and run rhn_check when you want it to run.

Hmm...that is not why I choose spacewalk..if I have to manually update
the machines by hand :)
A push would be nice :)

> That's my take, I'm very new to spacewalk/satellite so I'm sure I'll be wrong
> in places.

Thanks for every hint and help.
Much appreciated.

> jh