[Spacewalk-list] scheduled updates not being picked up

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jul 17 12:13:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Michiel van Es wrote:

> So although I scheduled it to check it one minuter after now, it still takes
> 4 hours to being picked up by the pull from the clients?

That's not what you scheduled.  You scheduled it to happen no sooner than that
time.

> And if I schedule a monthly upgrade and reboot on a group.
> Can I Schedule it on every every wednesday at 04:00 am and will it be picked
> up at 04:00 am or 4 hours later then that time?

I've no idea whether it'll do that, or merely within 4 hours of then.  You can
always change how often it checks in (I'm assuming that's what
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/rhnsd does).

> The reason why I asked this question is we have a maintenance window every
> 3rd wednesday of the month and then we want to upgrade all CentOS clients and
> give them a reboot and check afterwards if everything went ok.
> That is why Spacewalk is our sollution that comes in mind :)
>
> Is spacewalk able to that just fine?

Either the push side of spacewalk works (I don't know) or you just ssh to the
machines and run rhn_check when you want it to run.

That's my take, I'm very new to spacewalk/satellite so I'm sure I'll be wrong
in places.

jh

--
"The average PhD thesis is nothing but a transference of bones from one
  graveyard to another."                              -- J Frank Dobie