[Spacewalk-list] Need for a lightweight mirroring solution

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Jul 22 11:19:43 UTC 2008

Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> Michael,
> what are you trying to do? I have no idea what you mean by mirroring
> RHEL packages in context of Spacewalk.

Spacewalk is the upstream codebase for Satellite, ergo, anything we want
to do for Satellite happens in Spacewalk first.

> Michael DeHaan wrote:
>> who have small-mid size environments that cannot use Satellite for
>> various reasons.
> If they can not use Satellite/Spacewalk then why you speak about it here?

Pulp started because of Satellite and this community would be the most
interested in mirroring tools.   This is also about the long-term
architecture of Spacewalk, so it's relevant.

>> The problem with this is that Spacewalk/Satellite's yum_rhn_plugin
>> can only be used to mirror packages that match the arch (and distro)
>> of the requestor.  There is not a good solution for older RHEL or
>> other arches.
> Ok, so we have somebody who use Spacewalk. Why somebody want to mirror
> packages? If you want distribute load, you can have Spacewalk Proxy.
>
> Can you explain me on some use case scenario what is your goal?

Currently people who want to mirror packages must purchase Satellite,
though this does not work well for folks who have a very small number of
machines but still need to mirror packages.   This is a good place to
brainstorm options.

Spacewalk Proxy fails because it is not a proxy for Red Hat Network, but
a proxy for another Spacewalk.

Further, it does not solve the disconnected use problem.