[Spacewalk-list] How do I register Centos clients as "virtual" inSpacewalk?

Matt Mannix mattmnx at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 16:49:08 UTC 2008

Hosts do show up as being Virtual, if you check the Hardware specs
under "dmi info" the vendor should show up as VMWare, Inc. and System
should show up as VMWare Virtual Platform. Even the Asset tag is
pre-populated with VMWare information. At least thats what it does for
me under v2 of spacewalk.

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 12:23 PM,  <Gerhardus.Geldenhuis at gta-travel.com> wrote:
> Hi Albert,
> The whole idea of ESX server is that the OS should have no clue, its
> probably a bit unreasonable to expect Satellite to know it is registering a
> server that is actually on a ESX machine. You could probably use dmidecode
> to detect this but it would have to programmed into spacewalk/satellite. The
> virtualization in satellite is only for xen but I think should be flexible
> enought to adapt for other virtualization platforms especially given xen's
> limited future with Redhat.
>
> Regards

~matt