[Spacewalk-list] s390x

Brad Hinson bhinson at redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 20:56:59 UTC 2008

Brandon Perkins wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> Andy_Hamberger at bnz.co.nz wrote:
>> Hey there
>>
>> We are looking at the options on using spacewalk within our environment.
>> We are running RHEL on IFL (s390x).
>>
>> How about supporting s390 for the server environment? I see that there are
>> currently no binaries for s390x. We are currently running Sat server on
>> RHEL4 s390x. So in principle it is supported .....
>>

> As Miroslav said, it should work if you build s390x RPMs from the SRPMs
> available from Spacewalk.  Eventually everything will get tested as it
> migrates into Satellite, but we would love to see it developed and
> tested in the open for the Z platform.  There is no reason it should not
> work, and if you do find issues, please report a bug.
>
>> What are the issues preventing us to get Spacewalk onto that platform? I
>> have the Ok from the Bank to work on this officially and help out and get
>> a s390x spacewalk port going and share the results with the community.
>>

> Well, there are really two issues, the first issue are the same set of
> issues that keep us from getting into Fedora completely, and why we need
> to build on our own Koji instance.  Integration with the Fedora Koji
> (this is building the packages in Koji which will occur when we submit
> to Fedora) is something we definitely want to do.  The way others can
> help is by helping with:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/GettingPackagesIntoFedora
>
> We also cannot get into Fedora until we break the Oracle dependency:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/PathToPostgreSql
>
> Feel free to help on both of these.
>
> The other general issue is availability of Z on a public Koji instance.
> I am not really as tied into those efforts as I'd like to be, but others
> on this list may be able to speak to it.  You may also want to see how
> you can contribute to that effort at:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/s390x

Just to chime in here, Fedora on z is nearing completion.  The Koji
instance is available now at:

http://s390.koji.fedoraproject.org/koji

The final step is to generate install images, which I'm working on now
with utilities like pungi and mash.  Once we have those, I'll send out a
more official announcement that Fedora on z is ready.  At that time,
we'll have a build environment to begin submitting Spacewalk source RPMs
for building :)

More to come shortly.

-Brad