[Spacewalk-list] s390x

Brandon Perkins bperkins at redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 20:49:32 UTC 2008

Hi Andy,

Andy_Hamberger at bnz.co.nz wrote:
> Hey there
>
> We are looking at the options on using spacewalk within our environment.
> We are running RHEL on IFL (s390x).
>
> How about supporting s390 for the server environment? I see that there are
> currently no binaries for s390x. We are currently running Sat server on
> RHEL4 s390x. So in principle it is supported .....

As Miroslav said, it should work if you build s390x RPMs from the SRPMs
available from Spacewalk.  Eventually everything will get tested as it
migrates into Satellite, but we would love to see it developed and
tested in the open for the Z platform.  There is no reason it should not
work, and if you do find issues, please report a bug.

> What are the issues preventing us to get Spacewalk onto that platform? I
> have the Ok from the Bank to work on this officially and help out and get
> a s390x spacewalk port going and share the results with the community.

Well, there are really two issues, the first issue are the same set of
issues that keep us from getting into Fedora completely, and why we need
to build on our own Koji instance.  Integration with the Fedora Koji
(this is building the packages in Koji which will occur when we submit
to Fedora) is something we definitely want to do.  The way others can
help is by helping with:

https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/GettingPackagesIntoFedora

We also cannot get into Fedora until we break the Oracle dependency:

https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/PathToPostgreSql

Feel free to help on both of these.

The other general issue is availability of Z on a public Koji instance.
I am not really as tied into those efforts as I'd like to be, but others
on this list may be able to speak to it.  You may also want to see how
you can contribute to that effort at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/s390x

I would like to hear others chime in on this point, because we could
similarly discuss ia64 and SPARC while we're on this topic.

> Looking forward to your thoughts ... let me know if I should post this on
> the devel mailing list.

No need unless you want to join in on any of the efforts I listed above.
 All of which could be incredibly helpful.

Thanks!
Brandon