[Spacewalk-list] Force install, still looking for any answers

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Apr 7 17:42:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:

> Asking again, since I got no responses:
>
> I created a new CentOS 5.3 repository Friday. Today, I unsubscribed my test
> system to 5.2, and subscribed it to 5.3 and its child channels. I tried to
> upgrade. First it failed, asserting that it couldn't find the repomod.xml
> for the new channel.

Documented bug.

> So I renamed /etc/yum.repos.d/Centos-Base.repo. Failed again. Finally, I
> restarted osad on the client, and everything on the server. What I got was
> that it had failed, because of rpm conflicts.

Why did you still even have that?  I'm sure I'd said before that if you want
spacewalk, you generally don't want any repo files*.

> Does someone have a link to how I can tell Spacewalk to do a force install?
>
> Or, the bigger picture: is there a document describing how to do a full
> subrelease upgrade, rather than minor fixes? Is what I did correct,
> unsubscribing from 5.2, and subscribing the system to 5.3, the right way?

Ignore spacewalk.  Spacewalk doesn't do magic.  It simply offers packages up
to yum.  So your question (I think) is simply a yum question.

You have a set of installed packages.  You have a set of updated packages.
Yum doesn't want to do an upgrade as there are conflicts.

What are you expecting yum to do as the next step?  Just mash all the packages
onto the system and to hell with the conflicts?  What kind of system does that
produce?

jh

* look, I'm not repeating the better solution /every/ time.

--
"Technology... the knack of so arrangeing the world that we don't have to
  experience it."                                     -- Max Frisch