[Spacewalk-list] Force install, still looking for any answers

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Wed Apr 8 12:10:17 UTC 2009

John Hodrien wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:
>
>> Ok, am I *that* obtuse? No. On the spacewalk server, I scheduled a
>> push of an upgrade, 143 packages including the kernel, to UPGRADE my test
>> system to CentOS 5.3 from 5.2. The scheduled *PUSH* failed, telling me (in
>> schedules, failed system),
>> Error while executing packages action: Transaction Check
>> Error: file /etc/ldap.conf from install of nss_ldap-253-17.el5 conflicts
>> with file from package nss_ldap-253-13.el5_2.1 <snippage of another
>> bunch of
>> the same kind of failures>
>
> This is part of the 'ick' I found once redhat went multiarch.  Two
> packages:
>
> nss_ldap-253-13.el5_2.1.i386
> nss_ldap-253-13.el5_2.1.x86_64
>
> What I assume is happening is an upgrade to nss_ldap-253-17.el5.x86_64
> (say).
>
> What needs to happen is a simultaneous upgrade of i386 and x86_64 packages,
> just to get yum to swallow it (allowing clashing files between like named
> packages is a dirty solution if you ask me).

Hmmm.... I'll have to read that more closely when I get into work. I shouldn't
think, though, if I'm trying to upgrade a 64-bit system, it would need the same
package for i386.

> What happens if you do a yum upgrade on the client?

I suppose I could try that for debugging, but I can *not* do that once we put
this into production. It *must* go from the server; otherwise, there's no point
to spacewalk.

	mark