[Spacewalk-list] problems with syncing repositories and sw clients

Will Cladek william.cladek at nrl.navy.mil
Tue Apr 14 14:04:15 UTC 2009

> First problem
> -----------------
> I'm trying to sync i386 "base" repo for centos 5.3 and cannot find a lot
> of packages(about 50%), for example "vixie-cron" or "PyXML"
>
> (root at sw)-(07:43 AM Tue Apr 14)-(~)
> # reposync --arch=i386 --repoid=base -p /var/www/html/pub/CentOS5-i386
> -l|grep cron
> [base: 210   of 1186  ] Skipping existing CentOS/crontabs-1.10-8.noarch.rpm
>
> but i can see it on remote CentOS base repo(it have 2508 packages).
>
> NOTE: With x86_64 repo i have NO problems.
>
> So, why reposync cannot see about 50% of packages?

When you say it can't find a lot of the packages, do you mean you're seeing the "Skipping existing..." message for those packages?  Because that just means the package already exists in the local directory you're syncing to.

> Third problem
> When i'm trying to clean yum cache on this client, i got:
>
> # yum clean all
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, rhnplugin
> Cleaning up Everything
> Error: Error making cache directory: //var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt
> error was: [Errno 17] File exists: '//var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt'

Whenever I get this message, I simply remove that timedhosts.txt file.  Not sure what the deal with this is, but removing it doesn't seem to adversely affect anything, and doing a "yum clean all" after that works.  Hopefully being able to clean the cache will fix your second problem as well.