[Spacewalk-list] Bug? 8 Character Username Limitation?

Wojtak, Greg GregWojtak at quickenloans.com
Thu Aug 6 14:28:42 UTC 2009

I ran into a situation where I created an account on Spacewalk 0.5.  The account id was 9 characters long  and, like all the other users, used PAM authentication.  The id with 9 characters would not authenticate, and it looks like spacewalk wasn't even passing the info along to PAM as I never saw the request go out on the wire to our LDAP server, and when I type the incorrect password or username for accounts that have fewer than 8 characters, I get a message in /var/log/messages about not being able to bind as that user.  No such message appears on usernames with more than 8 characters in them.

Greg Wojtak
Unix Systems
Quicken Loans
O (734) 805-5980