[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk .5 & CentOS -- Can't get past web login screen

Marcus Moeller mail at marcus-moeller.de
Fri Aug 7 07:00:49 UTC 2009

Dear Greg,

> I've been struggling with this for the past 4 days.  I have a clean
> CentOS 5.3 x86 base install with everything updated doing a "yum
> update".  I've been following the instructions at
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PackageManagement/Spacewalk on how to

I have been using the 'official' user docs located at:

https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/UserDocs

without any problems (had to fix some lines but the rest is fine)

I have also thought about helping to maintain the pages on
wiki.centos.org but I decided to wait until 0.6 is released (which
will happen these days). I would suggest you to install the nightly
build (if you have not already done that), do not any further upgrades
and change the repo back to release when 0.6 is available.

There is no real 'upgrade path" from 0.5 to 0.6 (at least it does not
work for me).

> install Spacewalk.  I have no issues getting Oracle installed or the
> actual installation portion of Spacewalk.  Everything goes along without
> any hiccups....until I get to the point where I create the inital
> satellite administrator account through the web interface.
>
> When I visit https://<spacewalk-FQDN> it prompts me to create the
> initial administrator account.  I enter in a username of "admin" and a
> password, my name and email address.  It looks like it creates the
> account when I submit it, and then says that I should "finish additional
> configuring by clicking here" in a blue box under the spacewalk toolbar.
> Directly under that is the login box again saying:
>
> "Please Sign In To access purchasing, account or profile information, or
> to continue an expired session, please sign in below."
>
> If I click on "by clicking here" it takes me back to the login page.  I
> try logging in with the "admin" account I created, no go -- says invalid
> username password.
>
> I just can't seem to login to the system at all.  I'm 100% sure I'm
> typing in the correct username/password.  I even tried resetting the
> password by going to About -> Lookup Login/Password and sending a new
> password to the email address of the "admin" account that was created.
> It sends me the new password, but the new password doesn't work with the
> "admin" username either!
>
> What gives?  I've rebooted after installing Oracle and Spacewalk.  I've
> tried formatting/reinstalling the whole OS from scratch about 6 times
> and I still get stuck at the same login problem.  I did have this
> working on another VM for testing purposes -- but now I'm building the
> production box and can't get it to work.
>
> Any ideas from anyone out there?

Are there any tracebacks generated or apache/tomcat error messages?

Best Regards
Marcus