[Spacewalk-list] Running commands via osad

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Mon Aug 24 07:28:25 UTC 2009

Jason Frisvold wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     I'm getting pretty comfortable with spacewalk and I'd like to start
> implementing some more services.  Specifically, it would be really nice
> to be able to execute commands via spacewalk.  Checking through the
> wiki, it appears that osad is the current tool to do this.  Are there

Nope. Osad is "only" daemon which comunicate over jabberd and execute
all events instantly. It does not matter which event it is. Can be
executing command, but also install/removal of packages, deploying
config files...
The same work do rhnsd which periodically run rhn_check. Only one
difference is that it does not run that event immediately.

> plans to change this, or am I pretty safe with learning this and getting
> it implemented?

We have in Roadmap [1] for 0.7:
"Start looking at func as possible future alternative to osad, or AMQP
(with osad/osa-dispatcher) bugzilla 453459"
But I personally do not think we will do something functional about this
in several upcoming releases. So go ahead and try Osad :)

1: https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/roadmap

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Satellite Engineering