[Spacewalk-list] errata question

David Nutter davidn at bioss.sari.ac.uk
Tue Dec 1 17:26:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 08:09:57AM -0600, Andy Speagle wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 08:05 -0600, Daniel Wittenberg wrote:
> > Sorry, for CentOS 5, figured I'd start a little easier.  Any idea what
> > to search for?  I've been searching but so far no luck.
>
> If you scan the Sep '09 archives for "CentOS Errata Script" there's a
> message from Raal Goff about this very thing for CentOS.  The relevant
> link in that message is:
>
> http://www.bioss.ac.uk/staff/davidn/spacewalk-stuff/
>
> However, I encourage you to follow the resultant thread of that message
> since there was much further discussion regarding this topic.

It's clear that there's a fair bit of interest in improving this sort
of functionality. Therefore I promise to fix some of the outstanding
issues in my script, starting with the following:

1) Support for errata applicable to multiple architectures
2) Allow definition of multiple channels for errata, one for each architecture.
3) MBOX and MailArchive support for getting the announce message
4) Incorporate Raal's code for scraping data from the RHN pages.

Jason Frisvold also mailed me off-list a while ago to ask if the
requirement for an on-disk yum repository could be removed. The script
needs this to retrieve unambiguous NVREA for each
package. Unfortunately I couldn't think of a good way to do this just
from the CentOS emails since parsing RPM filenames is unreliable and
there's no Spacewalk API function to retrieve packages by filename
alone.

If anyone has a suggestion for the above let me know and I'll see what I
can do.

David Nutter  				Tel: +44 (0)131 650 4888
BioSS, JCMB, King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd, EH9 3JZ. Scotland, UK

Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (BioSS) is formally part of The
Scottish Crop Research Institute (SCRI), a registered Scottish charity
No. SC006662