[Spacewalk-list] Tomcat Errors?

David Nutter davidn at bioss.sari.ac.uk
Fri Feb 6 09:58:00 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 10:29:40AM +0200, Cem Vedat ISIK wrote:
> Gents / Ladies,
> Do I need to give more information to you to get help / comments / ideas
> on that one?

*snip*

> > id: cannot find name for user ID 91

That's odd. The tomcat packages I use (from CentOS) insert an entry for
tomcat as UID 91 into the password file. If tomcat is starting as a
different user, there might be permission problems.

> > Jan 27, 2009 12:23:30 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> > validateJarFile
> > INFO:
> > validateJarFile(/usr/share/tomcat5/webapps/rhn/WEB-INF/lib/jspapi.jar) -
> > jar not loaded. See Servlet Spec 2.3, section 9.7.2. Offending class:
> > javax/servlet/jsp/JspPage.class

Looking at the above error and reading the servlet spec reveals:

""""
  SRV.9.7.2        Web Application Classloader

  The classloader that a container uses to load a servlet in a WAR
  must allow the developer to load any resources contained in library
  JARs within the WAR following normal J2SE semantics using
  getResource. It must not allow the WAR to override J2SE or Java
  servlet API classes. It is further recommended that the loader not
  allow servlets in the WAR access to the web container's
  implementation classes.  It is recommended also that the application
  class loader be implemented so that classes and resources packaged
  within the WAR are loaded in preference to classes and resources
  residing in container-wide library JARs.
"""

Possibly you have a jspapi.jar file elsewhere in Java's classpath
which is stopping the one in the Spacewalk web application from
same error and I'm fine. Therefore I'm wondering if rhn.jar (which
contains com.redhat.rhn.webapp.RhnServletListener) is somehow failing
to load resulting in the later error:

> > 2009-01-27 12:23:31,498 [main] ERROR
> > org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/rhn] -
> > Error configuring application listener of class
> > com.redhat.rhn.webapp.RhnServletListener
> > java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> > com.redhat.rhn.webapp.RhnServletListener

Possibly turning up tomcat logging so you can see what jars are being
loaded might help.

David Nutter  				Tel: +44 (0)131 650 4888
BioSS, JCMB, King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd, EH9 3JZ. Scotland, UK

Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (BioSS) is formally part of The
Scottish Crop Research Institute (SCRI), a registered Scottish charity
No. SC006662