[Spacewalk-list] reposync and rhnpush

m.roth2006 at rcn.com m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Mon Feb 9 21:58:18 UTC 2009

Michael,

>Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:47:33 -0500
>From: "Michael ORourke" <mrorourke at earthlink.net>
>
>Actually, there has been some message threads about this same issue that are

I missed them, I'm afraid, and when I googled, it didn't turn them up.

>in the archives, but yes...  the duplication of packages (RPMs) is common
>with a spacewalk system.  The problem is that the tools such as reposync,
>rsync, and cobbler don't know how to synchronize directly with spacewalk.
>So you have to synchronize all the pkgs locally first, then push them into
>spacewalk.
>One of the better solutions I have seen was to create links to the packages
>with the files under /var/satellite.  Then you will only have one copy of
>the actual packages on your system and the links will fool reposync into
>functioning properly.  Now that requires some additional scripting to pull
>that off.

What additional scripting? Can't I just
ln -s /var/satellite /var/www/html/pub
?

>I've seen some say to just delete the reposync'd packages after
>pushing them into spacewalk, but that seems like a huge waste of bandwidth
>because everytime you reposync you will be pulling all the packages down
>again.

Hmmm... having just written a script to do backups of the significant parts all our systems, and for the first time using hard links, that might be a solution.

>Also worth noting... I believe some of the info on the
><https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/ManagingFedoraSystems> may be
>out-of-date with the most recent release of spacewalk (v0.4).  At least with
>respect to the "Kickstarting Fedora clients" section.

Thanks for that information - I've noted a number of things that seem inconsistent, like needing rhel-instnum or not.

      mark