[Spacewalk-list] Exclude package upgrades in Spacewalk

Santi Saez santisaez at woop.es
Tue Feb 10 12:49:53 UTC 2009

El 5/2/09 12:06, Santi Saez escribió:

> I have a server group where I can't upgrade/modify some RPM packages.
>
> To prevent this Yum was configured with "exclude" option:
>
> exclude=analog cpio coreutils dpkg openvpn rsync tar kernel
>
> Now in Spacewalk we're using pkgSkipList:
>
> # grep -i skip /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date
> pkgSkipList=analog;cpio;coreutils;dpkg;openvpn;rsync;tar;kernel*;
>
> It works OK, packages can't be upgraded; but they still appear as
> upgrade-ables in Spacewalk, screenshot available at:
>
> http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/430/spacewalkskipcv1.png
>
> Is there anyway to prevent appearing those packages in Spacewalk? It
> will be very useful because of I use a lot of "Systems -> Out of date"
> to find servers that need upgrades, and those server group always
> appears.. but they don't need upgrades :-/

Hi,

How do you usually handle these issues?

I am running a few tests now creating new channels excluding the
packages that I don't want to upgrade, example script available at:

http://pastebin.com/f13a070cf

I use "find" to exlude packages and "cp -l" to link files instead of
copying, this method will save a lot of disk space.

Also, when uploading packages with rhnpush, Spacewalk will detect that
packages are the same, and only one copy of it will be at /var/satellite.

This method works and no extra disk space is needed.. but I would be
nice to have a method to exclude those packages directly in Spacewalk,
without having to do such tricks ;-)

What do you use to exclude package upgrades in Spacewalk? thanks!!

Santi Saez
http://woop.es