[Spacewalk-list] register systems

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 22:33:15 UTC 2009

Mark,

Hopefully this doesn't come off of overly harsh, I mean for
it to be helpful:

m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:
> If anyone has any ideas that I haven't already tried, or
> needs more info, let me know. In the meantime, I'm going
> to tell my manager I've hit a brick wall, and work on
> some other project, since I can't do *anything* *at*
> *all* now in terms of actually using spacewalk.
>
> mark, *very* unamused

This project, this list, and the people involved with it are
not here for your amusement. It seems that you are running
into problems that I've been unable to identify anyone else
having run into. A lot of time, effort, and goodwill has
been expended on the parts of many people to try to assist
you through your usage of Spacewalk, and yet you still seem
to be struggling.

There are a lot more complex setups, architectures, and
potential issues one could run into, and if this is your
reaction to simple, basic usage of the product (which again,
I cannot identify anyone else having these issues) then I
worry about your experience if you dive into more advanced
usage of the project.

It seems clear to me though, that Spacewalk is likely *not*
the right approach for you. This list is not an official
support channel, it does not have an SLA, and Spacewalk
isn't even a paid-for product that you can purchase a
support contract for. I think that rather than be "unamused"
and get frustrated with us, you really have to recognize the
fact that if you want extra help, you may not end up getting
it and being able to continue to use Spacewalk in this way.
You may want to consider purchasing a management system with
a support contract since it seems you need extra help in
getting things set up before you go too far down the
Spacewalk road.

Anyhow, this is just a suggestion to hopefully spare you
pain further down the road. You're obviously free to do what
you want to do, but also understand that this is a path you
have chosen for yourself, and this path that you've chosen
(as evidenced by your posts to this list in the past couple
weeks) will not be the smoothest experience possible for you.

~m