[Spacewalk-list] Running VMWare and Spacewalk on the same box

Eifrém Strinnholm Jonas Jonas.Eifrem at sweco.se
Thu Feb 19 09:46:51 UTC 2009

Great info!

This should be a wiki page.

Best Regards,
	Jonas Eifrém Strinnholm

-----Original Message-----
From: spacewalk-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:spacewalk-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Luis Garcia
Sent: den 18 februari 2009 22:55
To: spacewalk-list at redhat.com
Subject: [Spacewalk-list] Running VMWare and Spacewalk on the same box

Heya guys,

Here's quick tip for anyone who has had trouble running vmware2.0 in
conjunction with the spacewalk server- by which I mean running vmware
as a service on the same box spacewalk is running on- and not running
spacewalk from within a vmware vm.

Specifically, if anyone has tried this, you'll notice that the webUI
for one service would stop working when the other service started up.
You'll get service unavailable and 503 errors when you try to connect
to the webUI.

Vmware runs an embedded server tomcat for its web front end, which
uses port 8005 and 8009. [1]
This configuration conflicts with the default tomcat ports that spacewalk
uses.

For vmware, those ports are set in the following file:

/usr/lib/vmware/webAccess/tomcat/apache-tomcat-<version>/conf/server.xml

Changing the following lines seems to fix the problem:

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">

to:

<Server port="8805" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">

and the line:

	<Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443" />
to:
	<Connector port="8809" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443" />

No special reason to pick 8805 and 8809, other than an "lsof -i"
showed that those ports where not in use.

I'm no VMware expert, and I haven't tested this VMware config change
for performance or reliably, I'm only using it to fire up a virtual
client in order to test the spacewalk server.
YMMV. This could potentially cause huge problems down the road, caveat
emptor.....

You might be able to change the default spacewalk tomcat ports, as
well, but this seems to work just as well, and I'd rather break vmware
than spacewalk. :-)

<insert rant on how package management used to be "tar -xvzf; make;
make install;", and we didn't need no fancy Oracle-backed,
tomcat-driven
webpage manager, and rebuilding the gcc tool-chain was a perfectly
legitimate use of a weekend>

Hope this helps someone,

-- Luis

[1] Ref: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1066720