[Spacewalk-list] Indentifying host type

Gerhardus.Geldenhuis at gta-travel.com Gerhardus.Geldenhuis at gta-travel.com
Mon Jan 5 14:17:39 UTC 2009

Hi
Can anyone comment on how the registration process using rhnreg_ks
determines the system type. Eg how does it know whether the machine you
are registering is a Virtual Guest, Virtual Host or a non-Virtual
system.

We have some Citrix xen servers:
cat /etc/redhat-release
XenServer release 4.1.0-7843p (xenenterprise)

that is not picked up as Virtual Host servers when we register them in
spacewalk and instead are just registered as "Non-Virtual System"

I do get the following error when registering:
Error reading hardware information: dbus_bindings.DBusException
Error reading DMI information: dbus_bindings.DBusException

But I get that for other machines too when registering, and this error
has not prevented spacewalk from correctly indentifying whether the
machine is a xen guest or a physical server and thus I believe it is not
related.

Regards