[Spacewalk-list] Correct way to manage channels/updates for CentOS 5

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jan 23 11:52:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Santi Saez wrote:

> My "base" and "updates" channels are both parent channels ;-(
>
> Now, I have see the option to create a new channel with a parent channel, is
> anyway to convert a parent channel into a child channel? or I must delete and
> create a new one?

I don't think so.  I'd probably attempt in the webui:

Create new child channel.
Packages/Add
Select the top level channel you're going to delete.
Select All
Confirm Addition

When that's done (which shouldn't be too slow, as it's just a db op rather
than the full rhnpush package copy and db update), delete the top level
updates channel.

> P.S: it will be great to add a note into the Wiki saying that rhnreg_ks,
> rhn_check, etc.. scripts in CentOS 4 are in "up2date" package instead of
> "rhn-setup" (thanks to "prad" IRC user for the help suported solving this
> issue)..

If it'd be great to add a note, add a note ;)

jh

--
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
                                                      -- Samuel Beckett