[Spacewalk-list] Kickstart xvda error..

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri Mar 13 15:36:44 UTC 2009

Albert Bryndza wrote:

> Trying to Kickstart a paravirtualized Centos.  The installer complains:
>

> Error Parsing Kickstart Config
>

> The following error was found while parsing your kickstart configuration:
>

> The following problem ocurred on line 17 of the kickstart file:
>

> Specified nonexistent disk xvda in partition command.

I need a bit more information here.

what version of Spacewalk are you using?
what host OS are you are installing on?
the full contents of your kickstart file

If you have a recent spacewalk, "cobbler profile getks --name=foo" will
show you the kickstart in use.

Similarly, what do you get from "cobbler profile report --name=foo" for
the profile in question, so we can see what your virtual path and disk
parameters are set to.   You can run "cobbler profile list" to get the
names of available profiles.     Also paste the contents of
/var/log/koan/*.log on the remote end where you are getting the XVDA error.

I'm guessing most likely it's just that the --virt-path is set to
something wrong and that's why you're getting the error, but it could
also be that the partition section of your kickstart is confusing things.

> ..
>

> Without paravirtualization, the guest OS installs, but it's massively
> slow.

Xen paravirt shouldn't be slow.   If should be faster than Xen fullvirt
by a small amount.

qemu and KVM are both fully virtualized.   KVM is, however, hardware
accelerated.

qemu of course is incredibly slow.