[Spacewalk-list] pushing to client, not: createrepo?

m.roth2006 at rcn.com m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Fri Mar 27 20:35:30 UTC 2009

Jan,

>Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:11:34 +0100
>From: Jan Pazdziora <jpazdziora at redhat.com>
>
>On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 03:59:12PM -0400, m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:
>> Oh, yes, installed on the client, all done manually. The /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo was manually edited to point to my spacewalk server. As I said a week or so ago, I successfully registered the client, and the server knows what's on it.
>>

>To point to your Spacewalk server, you are not supposed to edit
>/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo -- you are supposed to edit
>/etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date. If you are messing with yum.repos.d,
>you deviate from the recommended way of using Spacewalk server
>and related client tools.

Thank you, that did it. I successfully pushed an update.

However, could you expand a bit on why /etc/yum.repos.d/<distro>-Base.repo needs to be that way? I mean, being paranoid, how do I know that my client is *not* looking out on the web, and that it got the package from my server?

Is it looking there for the xml? If so, what happens if the client system is behind a firewall that does not allow it access to the 'Net?

       mark