[Spacewalk-list] Monitoring

David Nutter davidn at bioss.sari.ac.uk
Fri May 29 08:43:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 09:18:40PM +0100, Ade wrote:
> Hi
>
> Im new to Spacewalk - installed my first Spacewalk server only 2 days ago.
>
> Im really pleased with how it works - I have 4 test clients connected
> in and successfully patched but .....
>
> I dont seem to be able to get monitoring working - when I try to push
> the suites they stay pending. I have not made any changes to the
> clients.

When you say "[the suites] stay pending", do you mean that the Monitoring Scout
Config push is failing to complete or just that all probes on the
monitoring status page (ProbeList.do) show the little clock icon? If the latter,
you may need to push the monitoring scout config.

Visit
https://spacewalk.example.com/network/monitoring/scout/index.pxt

and if the "RHN Monitoring Satellite" shows a little spanner icon,
schedule a push. Then your probes should start to update.

> Can someone point me in the right direction please? I cant seem to
> find where this is documented

The satellite guide is the documentation I used:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/satellite/Red_Hat_Network_Satellite-5.1.0/html/Reference_Guide/ch-monitoring.html

You will need to make sure that the monitoring scout is running on the
server (/sbin/service MonitoringScout status) and that the spacewalk
server can communicate with the monitored client (either by SSH or
rhnmd). You can test this by running the following command on the
spacewalk server (port arg is for rhnmd, omit this if you are using
plain SSH):

/usr/bin/ssh -v -v -l nocpulse -p 4545 -i
/var/lib/nocpulse/.ssh/nocpulse-identity -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no
HOSTNAME.example.com

Obviously /var/lib/nocpulse/.ssh/authorized_keys on the monitored
client must contain the spacewalk server's
/var/lib/nocpulse/.ssh/nocpulse-identity.pub. I install this in the
system postinstall, the docs suggest using config file management to
deploy it. YMMV.

David Nutter  				Tel: +44 (0)131 650 4888
BioSS, JCMB, King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd, EH9 3JZ. Scotland, UK

Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (BioSS) is formally part of The
Scottish Crop Research Institute (SCRI), a registered Scottish charity
No. SC006662