[Spacewalk-list] massive transactions on dist import

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Mon Nov 2 09:11:00 UTC 2009

Marcus Moeller wrote:
% Hi,
%
% >> we have noticed that a distribution import (e.g. full F11 64bit) causes a huge oracle transaction log (about 50GB). The database itself has a size of about 7GB atm.
%
% > I'm sorry I have no idea what transaction log are you talking about.
% > Could you be more specific?
%
% I was talking about the Oracle Transaction Log. During an mass import
% using spacewalk-repo-sync/satellite-sync, we got about 70 transactions
% per second, extremely bloating the transaction log.

Well, I'm an Oracle DBA for a quite long time but I still don't know
what is Oracle Transaction Log. Nor google helps me. So, are you talking
about audit log? Or is it a file? Or a table inside database? Could you
send a specific command how do you found out it's  about 50GB?

% It seems that updates are committed one-by-one instead of junks.
%
% We already did some hibernate tuning:
%
% hibernate.dialect=org.hibernate.dialect.Oracle10gDialect
% hibernate.jdbc.batch_size=20
% hibernate.c3p0.timeout=1800
% hibernate.c3p0.idle_test_period=1800
%
% But still got that large number of transactions.
%
% Best Regards
% Marcus

Michael Mráka